Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fire Beef

original recipe from Becky Stansbury

This is the recipe that broke the camel's back....but in a good way. I have been talking to my aunt and my sister about sharing recipes for a while, and I was having a really hard time actually getting around to typing out the recipes and emailing them to whoever wanted them. Finally, while talking to my sister, I decided that I would start a blog to have an easy way to share all the recipes that I'm learning about and loving. (Also, I get another excuse to show off my love of alliteration....do you like the blog title??) This is the recipe that I really wanted to share with my sister, but I knew I had so many other recipes to share as well....and so the blog was born. I LOVE fire beef. Full of flavor and absolutely delicious! Enjoy!

2 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. olive oil
1 C. water
3/4 C. sugar
1 TBS. ground ginger
2 1/2 TBS. crushed red pepper
2 TBS. garlic powder
2 TBS. dark sesame oil
1 bunch green onions (about 6)-sliced thin
2lbs flank steak

Mix all ingredients (but not the steak yet) in a large pan (I use a 9x13...or that one Pyrex that is bigger...what size is that?). Slice the steak into thin strips, add to the pan. Marinade for at least 6 hours. I usually prepare it the night before I'm planning to eat this for dinner. Fry over medium heat until brown.

I usually heat the leftover marinade enough to kill off any germies, then put in on the table along with the steak, rice and stir fried veggies. Sooooo good! But be warned, the longer this marinates, the spicier it gets!

2 comments:

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Could kids eat this too or is it too hot??

Mallory said...

If your kids like spicy food (like Bug does) then you shouldn't have any problems. This meal definitely isn't going to win any awards for being so spicy, even though there is definitely some heat. You could try adding less red pepper. And, of course, the longer you let it marinade, the hotter it gets...so you could cut back on that time for a more mild heat to it.