Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Aztec Chicken

I'm pretty sure I found this recipe on the Internet somewhere. But I have stored it in my brain pretty much ever since the first time I made (and loved) it. It has already evolved a bit....I think I've doubled the cumin from the original recipe....because everybody needs more cumin!

2 large chicken breasts, boneless/skinless (or chicken tender equivalent)
2 cans black beans
1 can corn, drained
1 C. salsa
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1 8oz block cream cheese
6 servings cooked rice
torillas, if desired

Put all the ingredients, except the cream cheese, rice and tortillas, into a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. (I actually usually put it on high for 5 hours. Right after lunch until dinner time.) Remove chicken, shred, replace into the slow cooker. Add cream cheese, stir every now and then until it is thoroughly melted. Add the rice, stir well. Now you can either serve it like mush on a plate, or burrito style (our preferred method). So yummy!

Also, you might noticed that I have a preference for Latin-inspired dishes. And spicy stuff. Or Latin, spicy stuff. That's just because it's so doggone delicious!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

QUESTION? Could you do kidney beans instead of black beans? Or omit them altogether? We aren't big into the beans... Also, is the cumin what makes it spicy? So if I want less spicy=less cumin? This recipe sounds way too delish to pass up though! Let you know what we think! :) LOVE this idea for a blog too.

Mallory said...

You could try it with kidney beans, but I wouldn't omit beans altogether without a replacement because they are a good potion of what makes up the recipe (other than the rice,of course). This recipe isn't really spicy. It's actually quite mild, because of the cream cheese and rice added. But you can also add a more mild salsa and only 1/2 tsp of cumin. Let me know what you change and how it worked out!!