Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Catalina Chicken with Quinoa

original recipe from Milford Ward Relief Society Cookbook

I made this dinner in double amounts yesterday so I could pack up half and take it to a friend who just had a baby. She liked it and told me that I should put the recipe up here on my recipe blog. What a good idea...considering I've already started neglecting this tasty blog!

4 large chicken breasts, boneless/skinless (or about 8 chicken tender strips, boneless/skinless)
1 small bottle Catalina salad dressing
1 package onion soup mix
1 can pineapple rings
4 servings quinoa, cooked

Put the chicken in a 9x13 pan, sprinkle the onion soup mix over it, then pour the bottle of dressing over it all. I usually shake up a little bit of water to the dressing bottle after I've emptied it and pour that in, too. It makes me feel like I'm not wasting! Top the chicken with pineapple rings. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

While your chicken is baking, you can cook your quinoa. I was pleased as punch to discover that I could cook quinoa in my rice cooker. Last time I made quinoa, I did it on the stove, and it was pretty miserable. (Meaning, I burned the bottom.) In a rice cooker, add the quinoa (1 C. dry) and water (2 C. water) and push the "white rice" button. Tada!

Serve the chicken (with added sauce from the pan) over the quinoa. And, if you want, add a small side salad and some Oreo cookies! (I'm sure that's why my friend thought it was so good!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, what are you doing up at 5:03 am???? What is quinoa??? I'm assuming kinda like rice but where do I get it and what does it taste like? Otherwise this sounds extremely tasty and I'm totally cooking this this week! :)

Mallory said...

Ha! I wasn't up that early. I must have posted it in some other time zone! lol. Quinoa is a grain. It has a similar texture to rice, but it is smaller. Really really small. I got it at Meijer, but it was hard to find. I assume you would be able to find it in any grocery store though. Look in the flour aisle or in the health food section, if there is one. It tastes kind of nutty. Definitely not as bland as rice, but it is still a mild flavor that kind of blends in with whatever you put on it.

Elder Kent Thalman said...

Quinoa I believe is from Peru. It is their main staple and is high in protein yet used most of the time as the grain or carb of a meal. We chop up carrots, bell peppers, celery, and onion and sauté them then cook the quinoa and veggies with bouillon and it flavors it nicely.